How do I support the soldier and not the war? This was my question for my practicum. In italics is an excerpt from my practicum proposal:
The benefit of this project to collaborators is that it may serve to find common ground in opposing opinions regarding the current war; it may garner respect for the deceased soldiers’ effort and sacrifice; it may offer comfort through acknowledging grief and an opportunity to release regret; it will be a public visual aide demonstrating what the number 4000 (4962) looks like.
I have a 15 year long existing relationship with the FPUU community as friend and member of the congregation... Intellectually I may differ from some in my opinion regarding the current war. My intent to be neither for nor against the war, but to focus on the soldier is intended to relieve any tension that might become a barrier to recognizing the soldier.
People came forward to help with creating strips and writing names; some wrote a few, some wrote hundreds, I’m pretty sure one wrote thousands. I received help building the frame, contacting the Canton Citizen, and taking photographs.
I held a public event on Friday to write names, read names and tie rags onto the flag. Rev. Bill, opened with a prayer; congregation members, high school youth and family read, wrote and tied; and my husband made brownies to share. It was a special event.
I gave a homily in church Sunday, and folks shared their thoughts during fellowship hour. People thanked me "for sharing" the project, presenting the soldiers as individuals and making them “tangible”. I met friends, neighbors, strangers and new friends who shared the flag with questions and comments on Monday as Canton celebrated Memorial Day.
Unexpectedly, the events inspired another to create a document with photos of my Rag-Flag designed to email the message to others “especially veterans so that they can realize that there are people who do not support the war, however they do support our veterans and our armed services.”
I am grateful.
Peace,
Liz
Liz, thanks for sharing this with us. I resonate with the challenge. I was very much against the Vietnam war, and very supportive of the people who served in that era. A number of my friends died there, and others came back affected for life, physically, mentally and emotionally. Then and now they (and the families and friends of those who died in war) deserve our care and concern. People make choices based on their own belief systems, and sometimes based on seeing no good alternatives for themselves. They deserve understanding and respect.
ReplyDeleteBest regards to each of you; I am eager to see you all in July.
With peaceful thoughts,
Susan